John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

My ice dispenser flapper does not open to release the ice.

Customer Question

my ice dispenser flapper does not open to release the ice. we just replaced the selonoid and still not working. the ice chute was frozen solid when re replaced the selonoid and we melted all the chunks. the ice is coming down just not opening the chute. the water works fine.
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 11 days ago.

Hello from Just Answer and the Appliance Category
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 36 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

Can I please have the Full model number of the unit to better assist you ?

Sorry to hear that your having issues!

When you call for ice for the dispenser solenoid to open the door is the solenoid getting voltage?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
the model is ge profile PSC23PSSD SShow can i determine if it is getting voltage? i hear something and ice falls into the chute.

If your asking how to test the voltage .I assume that you do NOT have a Volt-Ohm meter to be able to do any voltage testing, is this correct?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
i think my husband does have one of these. he is away at a meeting right now. do i need to open the area again to the solenoid area and test it with the power on? we had all the power turned off when we did the installation last night.

yes you will need to have access to the solenoid and to the micro switch that gives power to the solenoid also they are both on the dispenser area.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
leave power on to the refridgerator?

yes the power will need to be on to the unit in order to test for voltage at a component.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
ok i will get back to you in a few hours when my husband gets home. i didn't notice anything wrong with the flapper but is that usually something that should be changed out with the solenoid? i cleaned it since it looked a bit moldy and reinstalled it. it is staying shut so not stuck open like some people have complained about.

There is no need to replace the solenoid and the flapper at the same time unless they both are bad .

I suspect the micro switch is faulty so when you call for ice and press the glass yoke it open the flapper but does not dispenser the ice.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
ok my husband is here with the voltage meter. we have the front off and are looking at the 3 connectors. we know which one is connected to the solonoid. how do we check it? ac/dc? just put the probes on the visible connectors?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
We never did figure out the voltage meter. When you didn't respond we used a u tube video and reinstalled the solenoid. It is working fine now. So I am not obliged to pay since we never really discussed anything to fix it.
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 9 days ago.

Glad you got it working