Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Why won't my Whirlpool dishwasher start?

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Do you have a model number so I can better assist you? It should be located on a sticker around the front frame of the TUB and seen if you open the door. Also, can you still select and change different settings--it just won't start?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Model: GU2300XTVQ3
Some of the lights are lit up on the display, I check the door interlock switches and the thermal overload switch - all good.
It will run the drain pump for a short time if I turn the breaker off and then back on with the door open and then close the door.

If the control panel lights up and you can select different cycles and options like normal, then you either have a bad touchpad where the start button has failed or a bad door latch. To know which one is bad is a simple test. Just turn the dishwasher off so no indicator lights on your touch control panel are illuminated. Then just press the start button. If the control panels lights up, then you need a new door latch because the switch inside the latch doesn't think the door is shut. If the control panel DOES NOT light up, you need a new touch control panel because the start button has failed.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I know the door switches are good. I checked them with a continuity meter.
I can't get any of the buttons to work now. I turned the breaker off, opened the door and then turned on the breaker. The following lights are on: Adaptive wash, Rinse only, Start and Cancel. When I closed the door it runs for a short time and the Washing lights comes on. I cannot get any of the buttons to do anything. Nothing lights up when I push any button.

OK you need a new touch control panel I'm sorry to say. Below is a link to the part you'd need to order for your model. The part has been re-designed with a new part number so hopefully it never fails again. The new part number is *****

CLICK HERE for touch control panel

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
That's a lot of money compared to what a new dishwasher would cost. So this has failed on a lot of these dishwashers?

It does fail unfortunately quite often. The moisture from the steam is what causes a lot of these touchpads to fail which is why they re-designed the part.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
you are sure that is what has failed?

Yes I am.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Are there different part numbers for white and black panels?

Yes, the number I gave you was for white since your model number shows you have a white dishwasher.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Amazon has a part:(###) ###-####is this the same part?

No it is not. Again, you need part number W10175292. Nothing else will work.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok
thanks

No problem, and good luck.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I received the new control panel on today and the dishwasher is now working.
Thanks
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the dishwasher is not working again.
It successfully ran through several wash cycles but yesterday it would not start. None of the lights on the control panel are on. I checked the breaker.
Now what do I do?

Make sure the unit is getting power. If so then either the part you just put in went bad or your thermal fuse inside the door attached to the control board went bad. You'd need to test continuity through the fuse to see if it has continuity or not and if there is no continuity then replace the fuse---otherwise return the touchpad and get a new one.

CLICK HERE for fuse

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks. I will check it when I get home from work.

Alright good luck! We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It was the thermal fuse. Dishwasher works with a jumper in place of the fuse.
How does that fuse blow? The control board would have to get hot to blow it,correct?
Should I be concerned that the fuse blew?Do you have the part number for a replacement fuse?
Thanks

The fuse comes with new wires so if you installed the new wires you should be good. Sometimes when servicing the unit you move the wires around and the metal in the wires was a poor conductor which is why they have new metal for the wires.