Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

I have had a Whirlpool Refrigerator in my home for a little

Customer Question

I have had a Whirlpool Refrigerator in my home for a little over two years. My hushand & I use very little ice so I have the ice maker shut off more than it is on. We also are snowbirds, so of course it is shut off for a good solid 3-4 months a year. I recently cleaned out the ice maker as we were going to have a gathering here. Turned on the ice maker, had ice for the event & had purchased ice as well as the compartment is not very big. During the evening someone noticed water on the floor to the left of the fridge (the side the ice unit is on) I just figured someone had turned the water on for a glass of water & missed the glass)...I have since turned the unit on twice....when the unit fills with ice...I then have a constant flow of water on the floor until I turn the ice maker off. HELP!!
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Purchased April 2014. Started using when we moved into our new house, May 10, 2014.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Model # WRX988SIBE00
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I don't think my husband would be comfortable in trying to fix it.
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 days ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 6 days ago.

So I understand correctly, when you turn the ice maker on, the water flows continuously but not when the ice maker is switched off, correct?

Expert:  Kelly replied 6 days ago.

If the water shuts off with the ice maker, then the ice maker is faulty. The ice maker is what calls for water. The ice maker is not real difficult to replace but there are quite a few steps involved. The video at the link below shows how it is replaced.

The ice maker for your model is available below.

Please know I am here to answer any questions you may have!

You deserve 5 star service! I hope I have earned your 5 star rating using the stars at the top of the page! Please let me know if you have additional questions, I am here to help! Thank you so much!