Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My GE upright freezer was working perfectly until a 2 day

Customer Question

My GE upright freezer was working perfectly until a 2 day power outage. When the power came back on the freezer is running, but no longer cooling. Model # FUF17DACRWH, manufactured 12-1998.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

If you pull the refrigerator out, open the door and touch the lower back wall inside the freezer, is the back wall cold? Do you hear a fan inside the freezer running?

Next, go around behind the freezer and touch the compressor, is it room temperature, warm, or really hot?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yesterday when I performed this test the inside refrigerator lower back wall was warm ( there is no ice buildup anywhere), and the compressor was hot. I have since unplugged it. I will plug it back in and redo the test now. Will let you know in a couple minutes
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The fan is running normally. The compressor attempted to start - hummed for a few seconds and then clicked off. Of course the air blowing inside the freezer is room temp.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

That's alright, if the unit is unplugged now you won't be able to test it because it takes hours to get to where you can check. But if the compressor was really hot and lower back panel inside the freezer wasn't ice cold, then unfortunately the compressor or overload relay has failed. This means that your compressor is overloading and cutting out. It will turn off for a few minutes and then try again over and over. Pull the refrigerator forward and unplug the refrigerator. Remove the lower back access panel and locate your large black round compressor. There is a small plastic box attached to the side of the compressor with several wires going into it. This is your overload relay. Pull the overload relay off the compressor and shake it. If it rattles, then it needs to be replaced. If it doesn't rattle, then you likely have a bad compressor and you'll need to call a technician in order to replace the compressor.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There is a small metal box/bracket connected to the compressor with a plastic cap That I removed. I have sent you two photos. I believe this is the relay but can't see how to remove it from the metal box/bracket assembly. Can I test the relay another way, or remove it? I did unhook the yellow wire to check the connection, but have since reattached it.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

No, you can not test the overload relay unfortunately, but yes those pictures are the overload relay assembly. Those parts are just held onto the compressor by friction. Just unplug the freezer and pry these parts off with a flat head screwdriver and they will pop off the compressor. If there is any doubt on whether they rattle or not, then you will just want to replace them. If they don't rattle then you need a new compressor which is about $650 so it's probably not worth fixing at that point.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It seems like I should just go ahead and replace the relay which shouldn't be very much money and see if that solves a problem if not I'll buy a new freezer. I suspect it'll be hard to find the part, do you suggest GE online or somewhere else?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

The relay is part number WR07X10015 and the overload is part number WR08X10008. You always replace them together---never separate even though they come separate. Either way, the parts can be ordered anywhere online that you want but I recommend Searspartsdirect.com or Amazon.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Tyler, a couple of days ago you gave me advice on replacing a relay and overload switch on my GE upright freezer (model FUF17DACRWH). I have checked over a dozen websites and found the relay is for sale at around $20 bucks, but no site has the overload - most sites say it has been discontinued.Can you suggest another way to get my freezer up and running? Is there another model that has a compatible relay/overload assembly? I hate to trash a perfectly good freezer for the lack of a couple of $25 parts. Any suggestions will be appreciated.thanks, john
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.
You can order a Supco 3 in 1 as an aftermarket overload relay from Amazon if needed
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.