Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line

My wrs586fldm ice maker stopped working. Machine is one week

Customer Question

my wrs586fldm ice maker stopped working. Machine is one week old. Water dispenser is fine
JA: What's the make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: read message
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I can
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 11 days ago.

Hello from Just Answer and the Appliance Catigory
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 36 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

Sorry to hear that you have no ice!

If you reach in the top of the icemaker does it have ice ,water or is it empty in the ice maker mold?

And if the unit is only one week old do not work on it you will void your warranty ,just call for an in warranty service call on the issue.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
this maker is in the door do not see any ice or water..... do not technicaly see a mold. top of freezer has a plastic flue that runs to ice maker
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
hello Woody.........
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 10 days ago.

to see the icemaker you need to remove the ice storage bin off of the door .

but if you can see in the top of the icemaker and it has no water and of ice.

You have no water getting to the icemaker.

This could be a water supply issue to the unit ,a water inlet valve issue , or even a frozen water line.

Does the chilled water dispenser work properly?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
chilled water works fine

ok so then it is not a issue of the water supply to the unit.

The unit had a dual water inlet valve assembly (one for the icemaker ,and one for the chilled water) ,BUT it is a all in one part

Can you see or hear if the icemaker is cycling and just not bringing in water to the icemaker?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
we have not heard or seen anything.

ok so if the icemaker does not have water in it to freeze it may not reach the preset temperature for it to cycle.

Thus it would not do anything.

So let`s trick it , take a small glass of water and fill the icemaker cavity /mold up till the water is just below the white rake arms and lets let it set for a few hours and see if it will then cycle and dump the frozen water / cubes.

Then you can let me know what it has done.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
water flowed straight thru.... looking closer I see wires. This may be back of maker. Stuck hand up and behind and felt flippers and ice. Is mechanism stuck?

I do not know is the ice surrounding the flipper rod so that it can not rotate ? if so then yes it is frozen and you will need to defrost the ice in the icemaker cavity /mold.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Well... beats me. do I use a hairdryer on the thing.? If that doesn't work.... call Whirlpool?

Yes a hair dryer on medium heat will defrost the ice also .

And yes if the unit is brand new do not start taking it apart it is still under warranty.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hey Woody..... got back from errands guess what's in the ice container? Thar's right solid H2O. Gees!

ok so lets let it set and see if the icemaker will cycle and dump those cubes or not.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Still making ice.... thanks for the help. Going to write this one up to divine intervention
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 9 days ago.

That is great ,just keep an eye on it if you have any issues just contact me an I will assist you .

If you need me again for any other issues you can request me Whrlp Master Tech.

And Even after you rate me Today if you have a question just reply back to me,
I will still assist you, no extra charges .
But rating me is the ONLY way I get paid for my time.