Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Same fridge as last time. GE profile. Based on your

Same fridge as last time. GE profile. Based on your recommendation I replaced the defrost heater assembly. It seemed to work for a couple weeks and now the fridge isn't cooling again. It sounds like its cycling off and on when it goes into its cooling phase.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

I see last issue you had was frost building on the evaporator coil. Is that happening again or is it just not cooling at all now?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Its happening again but this time the fridge was barely cooling and the freezer was about the temp of a really cold fridge but not freezing things. I just defrosted it for a few days and turned back on.

Was it frozen up like last time? Fan running in the freezer?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It was frozen, fan is running

Okay, frozen top to bottom or in one small area?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Top.

So it is probably the defrost sensor in the upper left corner of the evaporator coil, looks like a little white bullet. It is available below.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
if it isn't that what would be the next best guess? also can I leave this question open a few days while i wait for the part and install?

If not that, the only other part in the defrost circuit is the main control board on the back of the cabinet. This question will not close so that you cannot post back to it!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay cool thanks Kelly I will get that part and review you soon.

Thank you! Please disregard any automated messages you may receive, I have no control over those. Any message from me will be in this thread.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sounds good. Hoping to pick up part today and fingers crossed it all works.

Sounds good, thank you!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Kelly do you think its the freezer or the fridge thermistor?

The thermistor at the top of the evaporator coil in the freezer, upper left corner.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What are some signs the thermistor in the fridge compartment is going bad?

The refrigerator thermistor would not keep it from defrosting. When it frosts up, it blocks the air flow, that is why the refrigerator warned up. You need to fix the frosting up issue first.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay the part should arrive tomorrow. I'll let you know

Sounds good, thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
got it put on. Seems to be working but I'd like to keep this open for a day or two before I close it

Of course, no worries, thank you!