Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  maitenance tech at casto
95800582

We were in the middle of washing a load in our front loader

Customer Question

we were in the middle of washing a load in our front loader tonight when during the final spin all of a sudden there was a loud bang and then squealing noise until I could get up to shut it down. Once I removed the load, I noticed the drum appeared to be more loose and can be easily shaken. Did a belt let go??
JA: What's the make and model of your washing machine? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Frigidaire model #41439012891, Serial# ***** purchased in 1999
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: hopefully
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: we did a spin after I removed the load, the noise and squeal were substantially reduced, but still there
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer my name is ***** ***** i will be the one to assist you. Give me just a moment to pull up your information it does sound like it could possibly be a broken belt or the brackets that hold the drum in broke. You will need to take the back off to inspect either way.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can you send me the parts numbers for both possibilities before I take the back off so I have them in case I can't complete the project tonight?
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/model-number/41739012891/0582/0153200.html?searchType=modelSearch&q=41439012891&searchTerm=41439012891

Here is a list of parts , part numbers as well as a diagram to assist you with what you are looking at. I hope you find this information helpful and would be willing to rate with 5 stars at the top so I am credited for my time. Rating does not stop you from getting back to me in the event you need me.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The diagram you sent was for a Kenmore, not a Frigidaire so can I assume they are the same? If not a need Frigidaire please
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I found what appears to be a washer about 1 1/2 inches in diameter at the bottom of the washing machine
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

It is for the Frigidaire its just from a Kenmore company the information comes from .

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

Do you happen to see which part it is on your diagram.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the belt and tub mounting brackets all appear to be fine, no obvious breaks
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

I am just trying to figure out where that washer came from?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I ran a spin again and the noise appears to be coming from the middle of the large wheel that the pulley attaches to, possibly a bearing. when it shifts to high spin that shaft moves in and out and the noise gets worse
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

so then the washer is more than likely that washer drive pulley I sent you. Some how it broke off. Is there any chance you can see of repairing it or is it a total loss and needing replaced? These things can turn into big jobs when this happens.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the washer is in tact and I don't see where it's listed on the diagram
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

oh I thought you said you found the washer laying inside. I was referring to part 27 which is part of 26 the washer drive pulley

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

Is the screw in the back of the drive pulley attached?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I found that washer in the bottom of the cabinet once I took the back off, It may be just left over backing anf unrelated to the problem. There is play in the upper drive fly wheel. Sounds like a bearing as the shaft moves in and out some when you run a spin
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

oh ok yeah that is what it sounds like but visually you will have to inspect to see what is broken or off of there in order to fix it.

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

Were you ever able to figure out what was going on in there?