John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have a GE refrigerator I am having a problem with the ice

Customer Question

I have a GE refrigerator I am having a problem with the ice maker. This is the third one I have replaced. The last two have done the exact same thing. Please see attached photo. Model number is *****
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

There is no photo attached, sorry. How soon is the ice maker failing after installing?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Anywhere from 1 - 2 months. Exact same thing happened to the original ice maker. Then I replace it that one acted up a little bit differently replace that one with another new one then did I slept like you see in the photo replace it again and this one's doing the same thing
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

I don't think the issue is with the ice maker but with the water inlet valve or the pressure to the inlet valve. When it makes cubes well, are they regular sized or smaller and hollow?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
They are always perfect
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

That's pretty odd. Is the door pressure okay? Are you installing OEM GE ice makers or aftermarket?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Factory ice maker. Door seem fine. Gaskets are flying dispenser flap closes. The hardest hit the ice maker plugs into looks fine. It seems to me like the element stays on icemaker stop cycling melts cubes and then the element turns off. Does the mainboard have anything to do with the ice maker except for sending power to the ice maker.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

No, the ice maker controls the heater and the water fill valve. I suppose the main board could be interrupting the power to the ice maker at an inappropriate time but for it to work for weeks/months, that is not likely.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have been attacked for years. This is one I have never seen before. Then are you as stumped as I am on this.? I did not think the board had anything to do with it but I have never been able to find any sort of the schematic in regards ***** ***** whole board I would think it would be a valve butt then what stops me from that is there is no water or ice in the mold in the ice maker. All the ice in the bin is perfect.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

If you just thaw the ice maker out, will it run for another couple months or does it have to be replaced?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No it will work for anywhere from three weeks to a couple months.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

So it is not an ice maker failure, we just need to figure out what is happening to freeze the ejector fingers up. Any other ice or frost building up anywhere else?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Nowhere at all
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

I am not sure on this one and have not seen this issue myself. I will see if another may have,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you as always. You are always so helpful
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is there anyway I can rate you so you can get paid for attempting to help me