Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I just bought an Amana Gas dryer, model# NGD4655EW. I need

Customer Question

Hi, I just bought an Amana Gas dryer, model# ***** I need to convert this to LP. I bought conversion kit W10606694A. But this dryer will not accept the gas valve with block pin. It has a mechanism that is labeled NG and LPG. Do I have the right conversion kit? How do I the mechanism to LPG?
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 days ago.

The conversion kit is correct. All you need to do is swap out part 9 on the diagram below which is your orifice.

CLICK HERE for diagram

for the blocking pin, all you need to do is flip it upside down to use NG or LP. You can unscrew the old blocking pin on the valve and install the new one with the LP side facing up. Below is a video that shows you the process.

CLICK HERE for video

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
This is what I have, do I need a special tool? It doesn't appear that this dryer uses a blocking pin system.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 days ago.

Ah yes, you do have a different style. You just need a flat head screwdriver and you need to tighten down that white plastic nut inside on this regulator.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Turning it counter clockwise? Will there have to be a pressure adjustment (manometer? not sure of spelling)? So will essentially the round mechanism will turn with a screw driver inserted in the white plastic hole. Do I just turn or a push and turn?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 days ago.

You just turn. 90 degrees clockwise. And yes you just put a flat head screwdriver into the plastic mechanism and turn. You do not need a manometer.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
As long as I can get the dimple that is now at NG to line up with the LPG correct? Is there a danger of stripping this out? I just don't want to strip out the plastic hole. I really appreciate your help Tyler. I was going to do that last night, but thought I required a special tool.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 days ago.

The center won't always move, it's just there to tell you what it was originally set for, but if the center moves and you turn it 90 degrees you're set.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok, I will try tonight...would it be ok to contact you again if need be?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 days ago.

Yes of course. There is an E-mail sent to you with a link to come back and ask follow-up questions at no charge after you rate me.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Please review this, I think I need to go CCW 25degrees.
copy and paste this in your URL bar.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 days ago.

Sorry you are correct, yes turn it 25 degrees clockwise. You don't need the special tool however, you can grab the lip of that center metal cover with channel locks to turn it.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Do I still pay you?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 days ago.

that's completely up to you.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I would like a refund, had I done what you told me to, I would have ruined my new dryer.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 days ago.

No it would not have ruined the dryer, but as you wish.