Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  32 yrs. experience servicing major appliances and HVAC equipment.
6636336

I have a GE dryer, model #GTDN500EMOWS I pushed the button

Customer Question

I have a GE dryer, model #GTDN500EMOWS I pushed the button to start dryer and it started but when I took my finger off, it quit. The dryer worked as long as I held the button down. What part do I need to fix this. Thanks
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tom Goellner replied 1 month ago.

When you hold the start button the start winding of the motor gets energized and as soon as the motor starts running the motor has a part that pushes a switch to de-energize the start winding and energize the run winding and this is not happening on yours. The motor is open ( you can see the windings). Try blowing and vacuuming out the motor of all lint. And see if you can physically move the part that should move. It is at the end plate , inside the motor next to where the wire connections are.