Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Thanks! I have a 8-9 year old gas oven that has begun to

Customer Question

Thanks! Hi I have a 8-9 year old gas oven that has begun to work irratically -it heats up then as its cooking it stops heating. Sometimes if I turn it off and on it restarts and finishes and sometimes not ...the broil option works as do the stove top burners...what kind of troubleshooting tips do you suggest?
JA: What's the make and model of your oven? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: It's a Kenmore basic gas oven that we bought new 8-9 years ago...I don't know the model I'm sorry
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I was thinking that you might have some ideas I could suggest to my husband later when he gets home from work so the answer is no. I couldn't move it myself to get to a panel in the back that I read about in other posts ...
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I have never used the self cleaning option ...we just clean it manually about once a year...we also only use it 4-6 times a month on average...
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 13 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 13 days ago.

Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Since your oven still works on broil, it sounds like your bake igniter is just going out and needs to be replaced. Igniters generally last about 6-8 years normally and then they either stop working all together, or they just get weak and don't draw 3.2 amps even though they are glowing. If an igniter doesn't pull 3.2 amps, the oven gas safety valve will not open up properly and could shut down mid cycle or not open at all when the issue progresses. Now the bake igniter is mounted to the bake burner below the floor inside the oven so you'd need to pull the floor out of the oven to access the igniter for replacement. Below is a link to the igniter for your model and it costs about $40.

CLICK HERE for igniter

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.