Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson,
Experience:  Owner at Scott's Appliance Repair

L have a Whirlpool washing machine Duet and I have error

Customer Question

l have a Whirlpool washing machine Duet and I have error code F28.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: WFW9640XW00
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes, I just pressed pause after the machine started and kept getting a door lock light indicator. Now it is not starting and has F28. SHould I disconnect and reconnect the power and try starting again. What is F28?
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I wanted to add an item to the wash about 3 minutes into the cycle. I pressed pause, opened the door, added the item, and now it has F28.
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 10 days ago.

Hello, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today.

The f28 error is a communication error between the CCU (Central Control Unit) and the MCU (Motor Control Unit).

Try killing power at the breaker or unplugging the unit for 10 minutes restore power and try to run a cycle, if the error persists you will need to check the wiring between the two boards make sure the connections are all good, if the wiring looks ok then It could be either the door switch system causing interference in communication or either of the boards. Most times if the door switch system checks ok both boards are replaced. The boards are listed below. I have provided the tech sheet below so you can follow the troubleshooting for the door switch system that is listed under the f28 error code on the tech sheet, on page 4. click here to open/download tech sheet

Washer Electronic Control Board

Part #: WPW10411662 - click here

Washer Motor Control Board

Part #: WP8183196 - click here

Please Note: I have taken the time to help you please take the time to help me. You are billed by the site regardless whether or not you rate the answer so not rating the answer does not keep you from being billed.

The only way I am compensated for the time I spend on the site helping is if you rate the answer by clicking on the star rating system at the top right of the question page or by selecting one of the five faces located under each answer. Since I have given you the initial answer I ask that you go ahead and rate the answer by clicking on the 5th star or 5th face to the right so I get credit and any follow up questions will be free and of course I will continue to help until your issue is solved. If you can't figure out how to rate the answer please let me know. Thank you in advance.

Hi there,
I was just getting back with you, I see the question is still open and unrated and I have not heard back from you is there something else I can help you with?