John, restaurant equipment technician
Experience:  25+ years experience. I'm now employed by a commercial cooking equipment service company
22250861

I have a standalone ice machine that is not making ice

Customer Question

I have a standalone ice machine that is not making ice anymore.
JA: What's the make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: GI5NDXTB2
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: whirlpool 6 years old yes i can do the work
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: compressor is running. fan is running. water is pumping over the evaporator coils. evaporator plate stays warm
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer. If the ice yield slowly diminished, inspect the condenser coil radiator for a layer of debris blocking the air flow through it. Remove any debris you find, and give the unit a couple of hours to start ice production again.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
John, the ice yield didn't gradually slow down, it stopped abruptly. The unit is completely clean now, although it wasn't at first. The compressor line to the evaporator plate never gets cold. the compressor return line to the condesor will get warm, but only when the machine is in the cleaning mode. Compressor is running, if I unplug start relay the compressor stops running.
Expert:  John replied 1 month ago.

OK. Thank you. It sounds like the sealed system needs recharging. If the unit uses R134 refrigerant, you can do the job yourself, using an automotive a/c charging kit. If it uses the older refrigerant, you'll need to have a refrigeration service person do the job.

Thank you for choosing JustAnswer.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks John. This unit does not have a charging port, but a crimped and soldered line. If I attempt to add a charging port, i assume once i cut the end off all the refrigerant will leak out? If that is the case, would it matter what refrigerant I put back into it? How high should I charge the system? Also, if it was low, would it make sense for it to work one day and the abruptly stop the way it did? Went from making ice and cold to no ice and hot.
Expert:  John replied 1 month ago.

Those are all good questions. I'll opt out with the suggestion that you have a refrigeration technician diagnose the problem, so it's repaired correctly on the first try.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thank you for your help John