Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line

Kenmore side by side ice maker making ice but will not

Customer Question

Kenmore side by side ice maker making ice but will not dispense. Dispenses water but no ice. have removed ice bin and dumped. The auger turns if we manually turn it, but not by itself
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Kenmore is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Kenmore is one year old and(###) ###-####
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: if possible
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: 106.51782410 is the full model number. We've installed a new filter. our power went off during the hurricane Matthew and when it came back on the ice maker made ice but won't dispense
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 14 days ago.

Hello from Just Answer and the Appliance Catigory
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 36 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

And when the ice bin is out of the freezer if you call for cubed ice (with the door closed of course ) will the dispenser auger motor then run?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
under the circumstances you outlined, the auger motor will turn by hand but not on its own
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 13 days ago.

ok do you hear the motor trying to run at all when calling for cubes or crushed ice when the door is closed?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
wait a minute, I think I misunderstood your question. when the bin is removed the gear that's still in the door will turn when you ask for ice and yes you can hear it trying to run

ok so then the it does run with the ice container out off the door ,will it run with the ice container on the door and empty?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
it sounds like it but doesn't dispense

well if the ice container is empty there is nothing there to dispense

When the ice was in the ice container was it possibly melted together some?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
No the power had been off due to Hurricane Matthew. When the power came back up, the ice maker made ice and when it had enough I went to get some and all it would do was make the sound it normally makes but no ice came through

ok so all the ice that was in the ice container had it all melted out of the container or was there still water in the container?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
We dumped the ice but I can't guarantee that there was no water residue. Also, when I remove the bin the gear inside the door has small particles of ice in it
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I have to leave for work in 5 minutes

ok I suspect what happened was the ice melted and the water from the ice got down under the ice container and when the unit came back on it then froze that water ,which in turn froze the motor shaft under the ice container .

It appears that now the motor and shaft are loose and running ,so lets let the unit run and fill with ice and see if it will dispense the ice.

If it runs with out the ice container and runs with the ice container empty it should now also run with ice in the ice container once it fills up.