Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a GE Monoagram frig 48 inch. How do I remove the top

Customer Question

I have a GE Monoagram frig 48 inch. How do I remove the top panel of the freezer to get to the heater thermostat? I removed all the screws at the top and the rear. Is it siliconed in ?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: z1ss480dmcs
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: 2003
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Is it still cold in the freezer now?

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

The freezer will need to be warmed, especially if you have a defrost problem that you need to access the defrost thermostat. It gets frozen and you will damage parts if you try to force it.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

See the attached pages.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the freezer is still cold. I just turned it off. This happened 2 other times and I turned the fridg off for a week. dried it up. it worked fine for 5-6 months after. I removed the whole back behond the ice maker. How do I remove the top panel?
Last time I removed all the screws and it would not come out. Is it glued in?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

No, I sent you the instructions for accessing that area. The key is to allow it to warm up before attempting to disassemble. Also, this may require a kit that was designed for an issue that caused icing. I will look it up for you. Did you get a look at those pages I sent?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is the 3rd page you sent me in the ceiling of the freezer?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Yes, once the evaporator fan cover has been removed.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I did that last time and could not get the top cover off. Is there something I am missing?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

See the attached bulletin regarding the Icing Kit for these units.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Did you allow plenty of thaw time, because the ice builds in the evaporator and will not allow cover to come off?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
more than a week
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Oh, wow. The edges can be very difficult, they have a rolled lip and get caught on the sides. Did you attempt to pry the sides out a bit at all?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I tried with a screw driver. What do you suggest to use? Where should I start?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

I usually slide a putty knife around the edges. There may be refrigeration putty that has been used to seal that may be holding it, too.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

I start on the side on the right (facing the front). You will likely scratch the side walls, so be very careful and go slow. These are a nightmare to take apart, especially if you are not small and fit in the freezer well! :-)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will try. How long should I wait before trying to remove. I just turned the frige off
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
what does the kit do?
Should I replace the heater thermostat?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

The kit solves the issue of the drain pan icing up and blocking air flow. Is the entire evaporator frosting up in just a week or so or what is happening?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
after turning the unit off for about 10 days and drying it out. It works good for about 3-4 months. Sometimes the freezer goes as low as 10-18 below and the fridge goes above 45 or 50
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
today the freezer was 20 above and the fridge was as high as 52.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Okay, so it is likely the pan has frozen up, not a defrost issue. Are there ice (or now water) streaks leaking down the side walls from up there?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
alot
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

So the pan is frozen. I believe you will need to install that kit. Would you like a link?

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

The kit is available below and comes with instructions and everything you need to install it.

CLICK HERE

Allow at least a full day to thaw before disassembling.

Please know I am here if you have follow up questions!

You deserve 5 star service! I hope I have earned your 5 star rating using the stars at the top of the page! Please let me know if you have additional questions, I am here to help! Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is this kit to prevent this from happening? Was there a recall from GE?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Yes, it is designed to prevent the ice from building up. It is not a recall, just a Service Update, so it is not something they will pay for.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I just got the cover off. Will the styrophome come off once it defrosts?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Yes, do not force it, it will break.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is this a fix after the fact from GE after this problem?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Yes, it was an engineering upgrade.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Will they help pay for the part?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

No, they will not pay for anything, unfortunately.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is that piece to help melt the ice in the bottom of the pan?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

It is a new drain pan (with heater installed), new drain tube and styrofoam to help redirect air flow.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

It also has some sealing tape and a h***** *****ttle plastic bottle for testing the drain (certainly what makes the price so high! :-) )

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

You may find the part cheaper on Amazon but they usually only warranty for 30 days.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do you think this is my problem and not defrost thermostat?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Definitely, if it was a defrost circuit issue it would frost up once a week.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

And would not be leaking water down the sidewalls.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Everything is defrosted. I took out the styrofome and part of it broke. How do you take the pan out?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

It just kind of pulls out, see below.

4. Loosen evaporator drain hose clamp.
5. Lower left side of evaporator drain pan and
slide right side out of drain hose and remove.
6. Disconnect the heater wiring.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
don't see the clamp. Could it be under the styrophome that broke off?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

It is probably hidden in the hole in the wall or close to it. You probably have to pull it out just a bit to access it.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Does the replacement part come with all the foam insulation?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Yes, it comes with all of the styrofoam.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I just installed the defrost heater pan from the kit. How important is it to install all the extra insulation and replace the drain tube?
My tube looked ok. I also did not replace the styrofoam above the evaperator. I was afraid to take out the evaperator.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

That entire kit should be installed, it redirects air flow and helps to prevent the issue you are having. It should all be installed per the kit instructions.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Refrigerator has been running for 24 hours now. This morning freezer was at -4 and the fridge was at 36. Now the freezer is at -2 and the fridge is at 46. What do you think the problem is now?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Sounds air flow related. Did you put the kit together all as it is designed?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Now after new kit has been installed for 2 weeks the freezer is going below 20 sometimes and the fridge goes between 34 and 47. I also noticed if it cold in the house the fridge stays colder. When it is above 75 in the house the fridge can go up to 45 46 degrees. I also notice drops of water in the fridge on the ceiling near the freezer wall.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

I will see if another may be able to help.