Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a 5y ef error, less than a year and no. It was making

Customer Question

I have a 5y ef error
JA: How old is the appliance? Have you gotten error messages before?
Customer: less than a year and no. It was making very loud noise this am
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: don't know how
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: what is the error
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So this 5Y EF error actually means that the evaporator fan motor isn't working properly inside the freezer. You'll need to remove everything inside the freezer and remove the lower back panel inside the freezer. Check to see if the fan is running and if not, definitely replace the fan above the silver evaporator coils. Now if the fan is running, thaw out any frost or ice that you see built up around the fan with a hair dryer. Unplug the refrigerator for 15 minutes and then plug the unit back in. If the error comes back, replace the fan motor because it's not spinning up to speed for some reason.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?