Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  maitenance tech at casto
95800582

I have a Kenmore washing machine, model 110.45986400 that

Customer Question

I have a Kenmore washing machine, model 110.45986400 that has suddenly begun knocking very loudly when on a spin cycle. It's like it's out of balance. It has never done this. What could have broken to make this happen and how do I find it in the washing machine?below the model number it says Type 199 712GT-BC
Thanks
Scott
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer my name is ***** ***** I will be the one to assist you.

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

In order to determine what may have broken you will need to take the back panel off and inspect it.

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

It could be something as simple as the belt came out of place or broke or possibly or it could have slipt off. Just let me know what you seen when you get the back panel off.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok. Will b after work tomorrow around 5-6 central time. Will u b on then
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

Yes I will be here. See you then.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK, opened it up and the belt is OK. The top of the tub seems to be leaning toward the back of the washer. I can push it forward a few inches. I looked in the front and can pull it quite a ways forward at the top quite a bit. There are 4 shock absorber looking things holding the tub assembly up. It's resting down on the back ones.
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

do those brackets look broken?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There are cracks on the bottom on the bottom mounting bracket between the two screws. There is also oil on those mounts. Looks like the shocks have leaked
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

That is what it sounds like to me and that would mean you will need to replace them.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK, that's what I'll do first and let you know
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

Sounds good would you like me to get the part links offline for you?

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

In the event you found this information helpful all I ask is you rate with 5 stars at the top so I am credited for my time. Rating does not stop you from getting back to me in the event you need to get back to me.

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

I noticed your question was still open so I wanted to follow up with you to see if you were needing anything further?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How do I swap these out and how do I access the front ones
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

Well what exactly are you trying to swap out. Have you located the broken one.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The shocks we discussed earlier
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

in order to access the front ones you will need to take the front panel off. That is the only way to get to the parts themselves. I believe they are either screwed or bolted in Once you get the panel in the front off let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How do I remove the front panel. There r no screws or bolts. Looks like u twist it and it unlocks from the holes it's mounted in. I just don't want to tear anything up
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

You will first need to take the top off. Then proceed in dismounting the front. I do not believe it is screwed in no.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK, got it all apart and replaced the parts. Didn't make a bit of differe nce. With the back off we ran a load and when it starts knocking it's coming from the center of the flywheel(for lack of a better term). It's the part that the belt goes around and goes to the tub. I took the belt off to see if there is any play like a bad bearing but there is no play whatsoever. What else could it be?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the knock is coming from the center of this, assume it's past this inside
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
THis is only happening on spin cycle
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/model-number/11045986400/0583/0153200.html?searchType=modelSearch&q=110.45986400&searchTerm=110.45986400

If you look at this blow out what happens is you have a nut on the outside of the pulley then the pulley itself after comes the belt then vent grid. then you have the vent pipe and clamp that go down into the hose. If I had to guess I think it made need tightened in there with the nut.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I looked at the blow up and don't see a nut that you are talking about. What is the number of the part on the list
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

number 1

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Just checked it. THat nut I very tight, couldn't budge it
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

i wonder if the problem may be with the washer counter weight part 9

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I checked it already. It's tight as well
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

Well then sadly I am out of ideas and will open this up to other experts because besides the pulley being the problem possibly I am out of ideas .

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK, I appreciate your quick replies and ideas. I'll leave you positive feedback and appreciate you opening it up to other people to help