John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

Have a Frigidaire Freezer Model # LFFH2067DW2. The Alarm

Customer Question

Have a Frigidaire Freezer Model # LFFH2067DW2. The Alarm sounded and the red lamp is constantly lit. If I were to turn the switch on the Alarm sounds. I have the switch off but can hear a fan constantly running.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Frigidaire is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: My wife and I were trying to determine that last night. 15 years, maybe? The model# ***** serial# *****
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I intend to unless it is clearly out of my league. I can follow instructions to get things done but I am not equipped with the electronic test gear.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: We had a very brief power outage due to high winds but it was enough for our back-up generator to engage. The generator ran for about 10 minutes until it cleared. The power returned almost immediately. Anyway, about an hour or so later, the alarm sounded and the red lamp is lit. I turn the switch off but the red lamp is still lit and a fan is constantly running despite being turned off.
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 16 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 16 days ago.

The first thing you'll need to do is pull everything out of the freezer and remove the lower back panel inside the freezer. Look at the silver evaporator coils behind this panel and are they packed with frost, lightly frosted from top to bottom, some frost on top but not on bottom, no frost at all, etc... ? Also, is the fan above the coils running?