Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Well.. some help would be great, This is about "psc25pswc

Customer Question

well.. some help would be great
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: This is about "psc25pswc ss" all good till yesterday night but the temperature is now 40 F in Freezer today
JA: What's the make and model? And have you checked the settings recently?
Customer: GE Profile
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: nothing was changed recently well, if it's simple things to check and fix, I would
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I don't know what helps you to help me model is "psc25pswc ss"
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

The first thing you'll need to do is pull everything out of the freezer and remove the lower back panel inside the freezer. Look at the silver evaporator coils behind this panel and are they packed with frost, lightly frosted from top to bottom, some frost on top but not on bottom, no frost at all, etc... ? Also, is the fan above the coils running?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok, I will do that in a moment, but why would this suddenly happen? Could this be caused due to any action that I would have done by keeping something inside or taking something outside the unit and am accidentally touching / ONing / Offing anything?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

It's hard to know until you can see what everything looks like which I had you check---there are still too many possibilities.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I see an 'Integrated Cooling system" unit at the top of the freezer, then a piece covering a fan and taht's pretty much it in the freezer. What do I check on this? How?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

you don't. You need to check what what I advised you to check. If you're not going to listen to me as an expert I'm going to opt out and you can do your own thing on your own time, but right now you are taking up my time as well.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Alright, I am asking things that I didn't know how to proceed further, your response are not helping but not comfortable. We can close this discussion.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

OK good luck to you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. Sorry to hear you are having appliance trouble, I know how frustrating that can be! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Can you hear a fan running in the freezer section? Can you see any frost on the back wall inside the freezer?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Kelly
There is a fan I can hear when I close the door, but not when I keep the door open
And I see a module behind the freezer, which seems like a caged Fan, but that's not what is running when I hear this fan sound. Hope I am answering your question
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Okay, if you hold the door switch closed, do you hear the fan shown as number 610 below running?

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I was looking at the Freezer unit so far. I am trying to get pictures from you, from my unit
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Were you able to hear that fan I sent you the diagram of when you opened the freezer door? Any frost on the lower back panel inside the freezer?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I couldn't see the exact 610 fan, as it's enclosed inside a case, I guess.
am sending what I can see, when I open the door
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Do you see the number 213 cover on the back wall in the freezer?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
attaching what I could see.. this may be the 213 that you are mentioning?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Is the model you posted the correct model number? The tag is on the ceiling in the refrigerator.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the model no, I see, inside the refrigerator is PSC25PSWC SS.
I see that inside the refrigerator wall.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Okay, so the cover that is behind that fan assembly, is that cold to the touch, like it is frosted behind it?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I didn't felt it cold.. I couldn't remove the cover, so not sure how it's behind the cover.. but I would think it's not frosted
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

It would feel very cold and "crunch" if it was, thank you. I appreciate your patience. Can you pull the refrigerator out to access the back to verify the compressor is running?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
let me try that
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it was heavy... but it's a concealed back ide for the refrigerator unit.. not sure how to confirm that compressor is running?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

The rear cover will need to be pulled off to access the compressor.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
you want to switch off the unit, before I pull off the rear cover?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

No, just remove that cover and fell the compressor (the large, round ball). Is it cold, hot, warm and is it vibrating?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I see that compressor is a little warm, couldn't make if it's vibrating.. there is a fan next to it, which is running
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

If it is warm, it is running. That is not good. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Checking it again, it neither cold nor warm..
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

With the compressor running, you likely have a low refrigerant level due to a leak in the sealed system. This is a repair that will require professional service. This type of repair will need specialized tools and training. You can expect to pay about $4000 + parts to have it repaired.

Please know I am here if you have follow up questions!

You deserve 5 star service! I hope I have earned your 5 star rating using the stars at the top of the page! Please let me know if you have additional questions, I am here to help! Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I guess, it's neither cold or warm, when I check again.. but still nothing seem to have changed.. what else can I try before I have to go that route of repairing through someone else?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

If it is hanging at 40*, the compressor is running and you have a low refrigerant level. I don't think there is much that you will be able to do at this point, unfortunately.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Current temp that refrigerator is showing are
Freezer - 46 F
Refrigerator - 64 F.. been that way since morning..
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Okay, that would certainly support a sealed system issue if the evaporator coil is not all frosted up, which we have verified is not.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
what do you suggest next? am a bit confused .. system was all good till yesterday night..
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

You will need to call for professional service, there is a leak in the system that has allowed refrigerant to leak out.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Alright, thank you Kelly, who would you suggest for such a repair? are there names to talk about?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

I can send you a referral if you provide your zip code, please.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
60194
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

A list of servicers in your area is below.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thank you
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

You are very welcome, thank you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

I hope I have earned your 5 star rating using the stars at the top of the page!