Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a ge side by side refrigerator. It started to make a

Customer Question

I have a ge side by side refrigerator. It started to make a clicking sound. The ice maker is working but won't dispense cubes. The clicking noise seems to be coming from the small fan in freezer compartment. The light in the dispenser area on outside of door has also quit working.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It is about 16 yrs old. Model #is gsh25jfrfcc
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes, if possible
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: It seems to be making ice fine just won't dispense it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

It's hard to know if any of these issues you're having are related, but it's not likely. You would need to start by removing everything inside the freezer and remove the lower back panel inside the freezer and work your way up until you see the fan motor. If ice or frost has built up, then use a hair dryer to thaw it out around the fan so it doesn't affect the way it should be running. If there is no ice or frost build up and the fan is just making a noise, you'd want to replace the fan motor. Below is a link to the part you'd want to order for your model number.

CLICK HERE for fan motor

Most likely the dispenser light bulb has just gone bad and that circuit isn't related to the fan at all so that would definitely just be a different issue. Below is a link to the bulb for your model you can try.

CLICK HERE for light bulb

Lastly the ice dispenser not dispensing ice usually means your auger motor behind the back wall behind the ice bin has either frozen or failed so you'd want to remove that back panel and thaw the motor with a hair dryer and try the ice dispenser again. If the motor still won't move you'd need a multimeter to confirm it's getting 110 volts when the light switch is held in and you push the ice dispenser paddle on the dispenser. If you're getting 110 volts then replace the auger motor.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?