Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson,
Experience:  Owner at Scott's Appliance Repair
89799402

I have a frigidare model frs25kr4a. I have owned it since

Customer Question

i have a frigidare model frs25kr4a. I have owned it since 2002. It just stopped getting cold both refig and freezer
JA: What's the make and model? And have you checked the settings recently?
Customer: yes settings are normal. Frigidare Model FRS26KR4A
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: i CAN i AM HANDY AND HAVE TOOLS
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Thats about it.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today.

First thing I will need to know the fans running on the unit? The evaporator fan in the freezer and the condenser fan at the rear of the unit by the compressor, if they are running then the compressor should be as well, so check to see if compressor is warm to the touch or not. If they are running unplug the refrigerator for a few minutes and plug it back in and listen to see if you hear the compressor start, let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok. I felt the fans running or a fan running. the compessor(round unit) is warm to the touch. I unplugged and waited a few minutes. When I replugged i heard NO sound of compressor start. No sound at all of anything starting.

Ok give it about 20 minutes and check it again see if the fans are running, then see if the compressor is running, if it is you will feel a slight vibration and should hear it as well the little copper line coming from the compressor should be hot and the large one should be cool if not then the compressor is not running, which means the start relay is probably bad. However if the compressor is running and the unit is not cooling at all then the unit has a sealed system issue, meaning it has a leak somewhere in the system and there is not any freon in the unit and that will not be a DIY repair. IF its not running that you can do yourself. Let me know which is the case and if its not running I will give the replacement part for the start relay. In the meantime please read below:

*******************************************************************************

Please Note: I have taken the time to help you please take the time to help me. You are billed by the site regardless whether or not you rate the answer so not rating the answer does not keep you from being billed.

********************************************************************************

The only way I am compensated for the time I spend on the site helping is if you rate the answer by clicking on the star rating system at the top right of the question page or by selecting one of the five faces located under each answer. Since I have given you the initial answer I ask that you go ahead and rate the answer by clicking on the 5th star or 5th face to the right so I get credit and any follow up questions will be free and of course I will continue to help until your issue is solved. If you can't figure out how to rate the answer please let me know. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok. so the compressor has slight vibration. fans are on. the one tiube is hot. the other is slightly cool. Sounds like i cant fix myself. How much to have someone put in freon?

well its fairly expensive because its not just a matter of putting freon in it, the leak has to be found repaired then the unit will have to have a vacuum pulled and the recharged. It really depends on where the leak is located as to how much it will cost, for instance if the leak is in the evaporator the entire evaporator will have to be replaced as well because they can't be repaired. So depending on your market between the service call fee and the parts and labor somewhere between 300 - 600.

Hi there,
I was just getting back with you, I see the question is still open and unrated and I have not heard back from you is there something else I can help you with?