Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Thank you. I have a Maytag PSD263LHEW refrigerator and oil

Customer Question

thank you. I have a Maytag PSD263LHEW refrigerator and oil is leaking down the front of the freezer door, coming out of the bottom of the water/ice dispenser. thoughts on the problem?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: nearly 12 years old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: PSD263LHEW
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no, that's it
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

I suspect you are seeing rust streaks rather than oil. Is it a rusty brown color?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it is now. when it first started a week ago it looked like a dark oil like substance and over the past week the volume has slowed and it is not as dark
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

In the diagram at the link below, do you see rust color around the bottom of number 13? Any holes or cracks in it once when 16 is removed?

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
sorry for the delay. had to unplug to get to the frig. ok, yes, the streaks are coming underneath #13 and when removing 16 I don't see any cracks there. At the bottom of 13, along the length of the unit, I see a rust line
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
when i remove 16 I do see that the screws are rusty
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

Okay, so there is moisture in the door that has caused that rusting. It is probably from condensation. The insulation tends to break down over time and can create pockets where moisture can build.

Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

There is a not really much that can be done as the insulation is a blown in type. The door can be replaced, but if it is still available, it will not be inexpensive. Would you like information for the door assembly?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ah, ok. good to know. is there anything that can be done to seal the bottom of 13 so the rust doesn't flow?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no, don't think I'll replace the door at this age. the water and ice still dispense.
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

You could use silicone around the edges, but it won't stop the rusting, it will just allow the rusty water to pool in the door. The water may find its way out at the bottom or it may remain inside the door.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
got it. thanks for the help.
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

The door is available at about $250 but you would likely need more than just the door once you get it apart, so I would "Band Aid" it until it is replaced.

Please know I am here if you have follow up questions!

You deserve 5 star service! I hope I have earned your 5 star rating using the stars at the top of the page! Please let me know if you have additional questions, I am here to help! Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
thanks for checking on the door. yes, I think I'll go with a band aid until it needs replacing
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

Sounds good, have a great rest of your weekend. Thank you!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
thanks. you too!
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

Thank you!