John, restaurant equipment technician
Experience:  25+ years experience. I'm now employed by a commercial cooking equipment service company
22250861

My gas viking oven burners wont stay lit, model

Customer Question

My gas viking oven burners wont stay lit
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Viking is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: model VGRC365-4QDWHBB about 18 yrs old. I just replaced the dual gas ignighter and it still dosent lite
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: the left burner lites, but just for a few seconds
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer. Make sure the flame detection rod is covered by the burner flame, and is glowing orange, so the ignition module senses the burner flame, and locks the gas valve on. The flame sensor can be repositioned, if necessary.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I dont know what either one looks like. Please help
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't know what either looks like can you send me a picture?
Expert:  John replied 2 months ago.

The flame sensor rod is attached to the burner assembly. It looks like a pencil lead, and, when it's hot, it sends a signal to the ignition module, which causes the module to keep the burner gas valve open, until the oven temperature satisfies the control thermostat, and it shuts the gas valve off. If you need a photo of the part, please let me know, and I'll try to find one for you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Please send me a picture Thanks
Expert:  John replied 2 months ago.

I will search for one, and I'll get back to you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks
Expert:  John replied 2 months ago.

Just to make sure I know what part you replaced, will you please go to www.amazon.com, and type the words "Viking oven parts" into the search box, then send me the part number they show? Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I replaced part # VKPB010084
called dual thermal BI-M7L GAS CTRL V
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I ordered the part from Viking parts dept. and that is the # on their package
Expert:  John replied 2 months ago.

Thank you. I'll find the flame detector, and I'll get back to you with the information I find.

Expert:  John replied 2 months ago.

The oven burner ignitor, part number VKPB 40001, is a hot surface type. You can see a photo of it on www.amazon.com, by typing the part number into the search box. This part also acts as the flame detector. Check to make certain that the ignitor is completely in contact with the burner flame. If it's not, adjust it so it is, and the gas valve should stay on.

If you need more help, please let me know.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The left burner comes on and then goes off for a few seconds and comes back on.
The right side does not come on at all.
Expert:  John replied 2 months ago.

Are we discussing an oven burner or a surface burner?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We are discussing an oven burner
Expert:  John replied 2 months ago.

OK. Thank you. You need to inspect the ignitor shown in the Amazon photo to make sure it's heating up to the point that it glows orange. If there's an ignitor for each burner, check both of them for signs of heating up. On the burner that lights, then goes off, check the flame contact, as mentioned in a previous response. Move it for better flame contact, if necessary. On the burner that does not light, you may find that the ignitor does not heat up at all. If so, it will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
They both light up
Expert:  John replied 2 months ago.

I'm sorry. Without actually seeing what's happening, I can't give you any more help. I'll opt out of the discussion, so other experts can respond.