Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
19941226

I have a kitchenaid whisper quiet that will not start - when

Customer Question

Good morning - I have a kitchenaid whisper quiet that will not start - when I push the start button it blinks - I have been following your advice given to other people with the same problem and have run out of options - from what I've read it could be my control panel
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your KitchenAid is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: My best questimate would be 10 years - on the door it has a tag - KUDPO2CRWH2. type 577-0 serial# ***** - does that help?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I took it apart last week-end to make sure nothing was stuck in the grinder
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 1 month ago.

Hello, this is Dave and I welcome you to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Is the start light what blinks? This could be a bad door switch. If you have a meter we can check this.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No but I can get one - do you mean a multimeter?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it is the start/resume button that blinks

This is likely one of the door switches. You need to take the door apart to get into the switches. Turn off the power to it first. Remove the inner door panel. Even without a volt meter you can check the wires and see if the switch clicks when pressed. One of the switches is bad.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have the meter AND the inner panel off - the switch does click

The wiring diagram shows two switches. One has White with violet stripe and white with a black stripe. The other has a tan wire and a black with white stripe. Can you check both?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I only have 2 wires - black with a white stripe and a tannish wire. There's a spot for a 2nd switch but there's nothing there

My mistake. Yours has a stainless tub so only one switch. Make sure when the door closes the switch closes. Line voltage should pass to the tan side of the switch.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No reading at all on the meter

If you have a resistance setting is that how you are checking the switch? It should show a full reading like when you put the points together when the switch is pushed down.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Did it again with the black on common and red on open - got a full reading

If you get that reading when the switch is pressed and nothing when it is not pressed the switch is good. Now we need to know if the switch closes when the door closes. Just as a test hold the switch closed and press start to see if it runs. If it does the switch is not getting pressed closed by the latch when the door is shut.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
just so I don't mess up - black to common?

No, that is a dead short. Leave the dishwasher connected and the switch connected. Hold the door switch button in and press start like you are normally starting the dishwasher. This will confirm if everything else is okay.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok. Back to blinking
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What next?

If the door switch and the harness wires going to the control are all good that leaves the control. The control is not often the problem but it is all that is left if the door switch is good. make sure the Tan wire going to the control is in place and connected at the control. If all is good the control is the problem.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
where to I get a "control"?

Here is a link to the parts list. The digit after the P is a zero not an "O". The control is item #11. With the part number you can look anywhere on-line. Locally at a Sears or other appliance store that sells Whirlpool appliances.

Parts list link