Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

We have a 2004 Maytag Atlantis washing machine that will not

Customer Question

We have a 2004 Maytag Atlantis washing machine that will not spin. We tried to get the center rod out of the machine and it just turns. The model # is MAV6451AWW. Is there a schematic that would show us what part should pull up
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

Unfortunately you can't remove the center rod, it's part of the entire transmission. If the washer still drains and it still agitates, then your transmission has failed and the transmission would need to be replaced. This is quite a major job and requires specialty tools to remove the brake and seal kits. The part number is ***** and it costs about $280 just for the part alone. A technician will charge another $200 or so to install the transmission so it's likely time to just replace the washer rather than repair it at 12 years old with that kind of repair cost. Of course that is completely up to you. I'm sorry about the bad news.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It does not drain and no longer agitates. Just stops and leaves the clothes and the water like they were at the beginning of spin cycle
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no I need to know what to do--online is best
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

OK then that has nothing to do with the transmission. Does the timer stop or will it count down to the end without doing anything other than it's initial fill?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am uncertain about a timer but it did go to the last step as if it were all done. I only opened the lid after it said it was done and found the water and clothes in the machine. It did make a loud noise when I thought it was probably into the spin cycle but it must not have done anything other than sound like it was loudly spinning.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

OK so the unit is counting down which means the lid switch and timer are working properly. You're going to need ot tip the washer backwards and disconnect the belt. Spin the 3 pulleys. The 2 smaller pulleys should spin freely and if not, then you need to replace the part above the pulley (one is the motor and the other is the pump). The large center pulley is the transmission. It should spin with very little resistance going one direction but have a lot more resistance going the other direction. Whatever pulley isn't spinning properly both directions needs to be replaced.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Please stay tuned as this will take me a while.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
certainly--but i believe i will be back soon today
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

OK well I have already giving you an answer and my time, but you have not rated me for the help I have given you so far and you are asking for more time and help later today.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Tyler...none of the belts or pulleys seem to be damaged. Thank you for your assistance but it appears that we have a problem that cannot be helped online. We are going to call a local service man. Therefore, I cannot give you a high rating. Elma Phillips
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

have a nice day.