Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

Both my washer and dryer are thirty years old and until

Both my washer and dryer are thirty years old and until recently, have been doing very well, but now they are both making noises I haven't heard before. Can I still get replacement parts and would Maytag like to see these machines?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Thankx for holding. I just now found a slip dated 12/17/85 from Austin's Appliance, Valatie, NY for the washer and dryer. The washer model is A512 and the dyer is DE312..
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: i don't think so as i know nothing about repair work. We did have a door latch kit to replace theoriginal on 1/9/09.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

One moment while I get some information for you!

So yes, you can definitely get parts for these machines at Searspartsdirect.com. Some electronics parts like the tier aren't available but anything for a squeaking issue like a roller or wheel or belt should all be ordered. There are a lot of things that can cause the noise but for the dryer typically you would take the drum out and spin the wheels and rollers by hand to see which one isn't spinning properly or making noise and replace it.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

If both units are still running they are completely repairable and worth fixing. Sometimes as they age things can squeak or squeal as they may just need a belt or an idler pulley. I would have a tech check it out for sure as they can go another 30 years.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the site and that will also get you a DIRECT LINK emailed to you to get back to me!.....tips are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!

Thanks.

If you need anything else let me know

Again, thanks.

Again Thanks

A service call generally runs $75-100 dollars for most reputable servicers.

Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience: Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.