John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have an AMANA BT21TW the frig is ~65 and freezer at 20

Customer Question

Hi I have an AMANA BT21TW the frig is ~65 and freezer at 20 deg, I was looking for a service manual so I can see if i can trouble shoot it
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Amana is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: purchased the house in 2009 and it was in there, it has a door on the bottom freezer(it is not the drawer type) the model number is *****
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: not that I can think of now
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

The first thing you'll need to do is pull everything out of the freezer and remove the entire back panel inside the freezer. Look at the silver evaporator coils behind this panel and are they packed with frost, lightly frosted from top to bottom, some frost on top but not on bottom, no frost at all, etc... ? Also, is the fan above the coils running?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Do you have a copy of the manual or diagrams, I have never took apart a refrig
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

The only diagrams are the ones in the link below---there are no manuals for this unit, it's too old unfortunately.

CLICK HERE for diagrams

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I thought it was included in the membership, what exactly will I be getting for the additional $ 24 to my $38 plan
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

phone calls are not included. If you wanted to speak by phone it's an additional $24.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
how hard is it to take the back of the freezer compart cover off? I guess I would have to remove the icemaker?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

yes, again--you need to remove everything inside the freezer including the icemaker and then remove the screws going into the back panel and remove the back panel. If this is too much beyond your skills then you should probably just call a technician.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
how do I remove the ice maker, I don't want to call a tech before I do some basic checks
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

You're going to have to just get in there and start working. The specifics you're asking I can't answer without being there so if you need that specific of information call a technician out now and well stop here. There are screws going into the side wall above and maybe below the icemaker. Remove those and pull the icemaker off and unplug the icemaker.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
thanks that is what i was looking for, I just don't want to cause any damage to parts that I probably can no longer buy.
I am at work now, hurricane is bearing down on us and my refrigerator decided to die. When I get home today, I will be digging into it, then can I contact you at that time?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Yes this question remains open but again, if you're looking for specific screw hole locations you need to call a technician out, I can only do so much across the computer. Please understand the limitations.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
thanks, ***** ***** I just log in to restart the converstion
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

ok

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?