John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

I have a used hotpoint stove. No electricity at all. Gas

Customer Question

I have a used hotpoint stove. No electricity at all. Gas line with standing pilot just stopped. No starter clicking and can't smell gas. It was working fine. Now it's not. Can't light pilots. Is there a fuse or valve of some sort that might be broken? I've never had a stove without an electric starter. Thank you
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 17 days ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer my name is ***** ***** I will be the one to assist you. Do you happen to have the model number of your unit.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I don't and its a tenants. I'll see if he can find it in back and let you know
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 17 days ago.

Sounds good typically the model numbers are located on the inside of the door on a plate or paper around the rim just so you know.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I'll find out tomorrow. I'm in California so if there's a time difference I'd guess about 11 hours from now. Unless I can get him to look now but he's out.
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 17 days ago.

Thats fine I will follow up with you on here when you send it to me. Have a good night.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Ok we found the plate but it has been rubbed away. It might start with an N but that's all that is almost legible.
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 16 days ago.

So my question is , is it electric or gas?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
It's gas. I said initially that there is no electricity. This is the issue. I can fix an electric stove or a gas stove with electric starter, etc. this only connects to a gas line and so I have no understanding of how it works if the gas is running and hooked up but I can't get a pilot light or a burner to light with a match. I turn the dial, there is no clicking sound and no gas comes through at all. It was working fine and just stopped.
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 16 days ago.

Have you inspected to make sure that the thermocouple is ok? It sounds like that may be the root to your problem I would pull up information on it for you but since I do not have a model number makes it harder for me to do that.