John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have a used hotpoint stove. No electricity at all. Gas

Customer Question

I have a used hotpoint stove. No electricity at all. Gas line with standing pilot just stopped. No starter clicking and can't smell gas. It was working fine. Now it's not. Can't light pilots. Is there a fuse or valve of some sort that might be broken? I've never had a stove without an electric starter. Thank you
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer my name is ***** ***** I will be the one to assist you. Do you happen to have the model number of your unit.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't and its a tenants. I'll see if he can find it in back and let you know
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

Sounds good typically the model numbers are located on the inside of the door on a plate or paper around the rim just so you know.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'll find out tomorrow. I'm in California so if there's a time difference I'd guess about 11 hours from now. Unless I can get him to look now but he's out.
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

Thats fine I will follow up with you on here when you send it to me. Have a good night.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok we found the plate but it has been rubbed away. It might start with an N but that's all that is almost legible.
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

So my question is , is it electric or gas?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's gas. I said initially that there is no electricity. This is the issue. I can fix an electric stove or a gas stove with electric starter, etc. this only connects to a gas line and so I have no understanding of how it works if the gas is running and hooked up but I can't get a pilot light or a burner to light with a match. I turn the dial, there is no clicking sound and no gas comes through at all. It was working fine and just stopped.
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

Have you inspected to make sure that the thermocouple is ok? It sounds like that may be the root to your problem I would pull up information on it for you but since I do not have a model number makes it harder for me to do that.