Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My kitchenaid superba dishwasher has recently not been

Customer Question

My kitchenaid superba dishwasher has recently not been washing well and is making a groaning or humming noise as it fills with water. I was trying to find the filter screen to clean it where the water enters the machine to see if that would help. I can't find a screen. The dishwasher is 15 years old so the numbers have worn off so I can't look it up either. What do you think the problem is? and is there a place i could find a screen to clean it?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your KitchenAid is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 15 years old numbers are worn off
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: hopefully. detached the hoses and haven't found any blockages but there is a nut where the copper water hose enters that I can't get off. my guess is there is not a screen there either tho
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: the water enters at the front of the machine not at the pump and then a rubber hose leads the water up the side of the machine and into it
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.

If the washer is making a groaning noise while it's filling, it sounds like the circulation pump itself may be beginning to fail. The circulation pump turns on after a little water has been added and whole it's normally a bit more noisy to start will, as the pump goes out it will be significantly louder when it's low on water until the water level has been reached so the pump isn't cavitating as much. At 15 years old, it probably wouldn't be worth replacing the circulation pump since those are about $200-300 just for the part depending on the exact model number but it's probably something you want to start think about getting a new dishwasher due to it's age and cost of repairing.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?