Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I am having trouble with my gas burner not igniting. How do

Customer Question

Hi I am having trouble with my gas burner not igniting. How do I get it working again? It is only a year old and worked 100% until the house cleaners were here last week. Now, the knob lights and the gas comes out but it won't spark to ignite. I have the GE Monogram 36" Stainless Steel Cooktop ZGU385NSMSS
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

It may have moisture in the burner from the cleaners. Can you manually light it with a match and allow it to burn for a few minutes to evaporate any moisture and then see if the behavior changes, please?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sure let me try that
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I ran it for 2 minutes but it still won't spark to light when I turned it off and tried again
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Do all the burners do the same thing? Are you sure the power to the cooktop is on?

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Can you see if a ground fault outlet has tripped or a breaker, please?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If that were the case, wouldn't my other burners stop working? I can light every other burner
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Yes, so only one burner is out? If you turn a working burner on at the same time as the one that does not work, will it spark to light?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the other burners all work (it is just one having the issue). If I turn on another burner, there will be a little spark out of the ignitor but not enough to light the burner
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If I turn two knobs at the exact same time, they both don't spark
It is only if I turn on one other burner and then try the bad one that it attempts to make a little spark
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

So when the one that does not light is turned on, it does not spark even a little?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Nope
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Thank you. Is it under a year old or over?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It is just under a year
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

I believe the issue lies with the spark module, number 318 in the diagram at the link below. Are you wanting to repair this yourself or take advantage of the manufacturer's warranty?

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Definitely take advantage of the warranty. Should I call GE?
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

I believe we have addressed all issues that will not require a part to be replaced, so I would call for warranty service. The number is 1-800-GE-CARES.

Please know I am here if you have follow up questions!

You deserve 5 star service! I hope I have earned your 5 star rating using the stars at the top of the page! Please let me know if you have additional questions, I am here to help! Thank you so much!