Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

My new Whirlpool side by side has a knocking sound in it

Customer Question

my new Whirlpool side by side has a knocking sound in it that comes and goes. I'm told it is Freon being pumped through the system and there is a fix to it. I have already unplugged it for 30 minutes so it could reset, checked the icemaker etc. Do I call the whirlpool repair person or what?
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: Hello?
JA: Hi. What do you want help with?
Customer: I already typed and sent it too you
JA: Sorry about that. I must have missed it. Could you tell me again?
Customer: My new whirlpool side by side refrigerator has an intermittent knocking sound in it. I am told that it is Freon being pumped through the system...and that it can be fixed...I just want it fixed as it is keeping me awake at night
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 2 months old in a new hom...ModelWRF736SDAM14
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If I can easily repair it without voiding the warranty
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I have unplugged it for 30 minutes to reset the refrigerator...didn't work. It is not the ice maker or water dispenser as I have checked it
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 2 months ago.

One moment while I get some information for you!

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

Answer:

When you get that sound there is not much that can be done for it. If it is really noisy you may want them to exchange it as it is caused from freon being pumped through the tubing. This is not something warranty can even fix. Some units are just worse than others, but a lot of them make some sort of noise like that.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the site and that will also get you a DIRECT LINK emailed to you to get back to me!.....tips are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
People who have repaired their own claim you can zip tie the freon tubing to something solid and this will repair the problem

I have never seen or heard of that. You would never have to do that especially on a new unit.