John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

My top freezer whirlpool refrigerator is accumulating ice in

Customer Question

My top freezer whirlpool refrigerator is accumulating ice in the freezer and the food refrigerator is not cooling
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Model number#MTB2189APW, it is 10 years old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Trouble shot the cause and which part I should change and if u can sell me the parts
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 2 months ago.

Hello from Just Answer and the Appliance Catigory
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 36 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

Will not be able to sell you any parts I can recommend a company to get what ever part from.

Let me pull the models tech sheet up I will be right back with you!

ok this model has an automatic defrost timer mounted in the ceiling of the fresh food section .

If you look up at the underside of the console you should see a dime size hole that you can manually advance the defrost timer into defrost with a flat screwdriver just turn it until you hear a click and the unit shuts off .

Wait for about 10 min and open the freezer door to see if you can hear any popping and or crackling from behind the rear interior wall panel ,this would be the defrost heater heating the area up .

Let me know

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I looked under the hood of the fresh food section, there is no hole, but there is a knob to control the fresh food section temperature, I turned off and did not hear the ice cracking

Can you look at your model number once again please?

I do not find a number of MTB2189APW

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry typo erro, Model number is ***** and the serial number is #54951485JP

thank you!

yes that model has the mechanical timer and you do advance it thru the dime sized hole in the control panel.

Here is an attachment with a arrow to the timer hole in the control panel