Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I bought a ge gas stove 2 months ago and found that when I

Customer Question

I bought a ge gas stove 2 months ago and found that when I set the temp for 400 deg the read out goes to PRE for for 9 mins then says 400 deg but the actual temp is only 300 deg.
It takes an additional 11 mins to reach 400 deg and stay there. Can you help me?
Thank You,
Greg ***@******.***
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 23 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 23 days ago.

So the problem is the way you are testing the oven, not the oven itself. You are using one of those alternate oven thermostats that you hang from the oven rack or set inside the oven. I know this because of how the temperature is reacting. These thermostat are "weighted thermostats". What that means is that they react very slowly. They do this so that you don't see the oven fluctuating in temperature. For example. when you set the oven to 350 degrees, it actually oscillates between 320 to 380 degrees but you never actually see that even if you put this thermostat inside, you might see it move 5 degrees or so once it reaches temperature. That's because they don't want people thinking there is something wrong with their ovens when there is not.

The reality is that because these thermostat are weighted, they take a while to react. Think of it like a piece of meat, when you put the meat inside the oven the air may be 350 degrees, but it takes hours for the meat to just get to 200 degrees. These thermostats aren't nearly as large so they don't take as long to get to temperature, but they will take longer than the style thermostat that these ovens have. The ovens use a "themocouple" sensor which reacts instantly so when the air is 350 the oven knows it.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Dear Tyler,
I understand what you are saying but... the oven thermometer takes 9 mins to reach 300 d then an additional 11 mins to reach 400 d my wife says it takes a lot longer to cook things than her old stove
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 23 days ago.

Unfortunately I can't explain why the unit takes longer to cook things than the older oven but again the oven is heating properly so you would want to call warranty if you don't believe it's cooking properly to see why it may not be cooking as fast as your older unit.