Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

We have an Artica ML PSS@&SHMD S/N SA455448: Yesterday it

Customer Question

We have an Artica ML PSS@&SHMD S/N SA455448: Yesterday it quit cooling properly? It was 32degrees in freezer, set at 0. The fridge wasat 48 set at 34! We were gone for the day, ck'd everything and it continued not cooling! WE emptied it out and leftn it on over night and today it seems to be working ok. I have checked,and vacumed the cylinder type filter which wasn"t that dirty. Is there an explanation,or are we due a new Fridge. HAD IT 9 yrs.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

The first thing you'll need to do is pull everything out of the freezer and remove the lower back panel inside the freezer. Look at the silver evaporator coils behind this panel and are they packed with frost, lightly frosted from top to bottom, some frost on top but not on bottom, no frost at all, etc... ? Also, is the fan above the coils running?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Coils are lightly frosted,and the fan is running
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

OK then the next thing to do is pull the refrigerator forward and remove the lower back access panel behind the entire unit. Is the fan next to the compressor running? If you touch the compressor is it room temperature, blazing hot, or warm?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The compressor is more tha warm ,it is hot,but not blazing, I can hold my hand on it!
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the fan is running
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Are you sure the coils are lightly frosted form top to bottom? Something you are saying isn't adding up.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the center coils might be more than lightly frosted! The top two rows are lightly,the next 11 rows are more frosted and the the rest are lightly!
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

ok then the unit should be cooling down if you give it time. Which means the unit is technically working right now. You'll need to watch the refrigerator closely because it will either get down to temperature like it's supposed to because it's working again, or the compressor will shut off or everything will shut off----those are the only options. If everything keeps running but the compressor shuts off, clean the coils next to the condenser fan by the compressor in case they are causing the compressor to overheat. If that doesn't fix the issue then you need a new compressor.

On the other hand if all fans and motors shut off like the unit thinks it has reached the correct temperature even though it hasn't, you need a new control board.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Would it be wise to unplug and let the coils totally defrost and dry?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

So unless there is so much frost that air can't get up through the coil, that shouldn't really make a different. Otherwise you can definitely thaw out the frost much quicker by using a hair dryer if you wanted and that would only take about 30 minutes.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
THANK-YOU!
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

No problem and good luck.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?