Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My kitchen sink disposal does not spin after turning on.

Customer Question

my kitchen sink disposal does not spin after turning on. Have not used it for 2-3 months. There is a humming sound when switch is turned on
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

If you get humming then it sounds like the blades have just jammed up likely from not being used. There should be a hole directly in the middle on the bottom of your disposal where you can stick an allen wrench to crank the motor shaft and try to break it free. Insert an allen wrench into this hole and try to twist it to break the motor free. If that works then great, otherwise it's time for a new disposal.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello, are you there?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

Yes I have already responded and here is what I said.

QUOTE: