Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Control panel problem. 5 year old dishwasher. 2 light don't

Customer Question

hi! control panel problem. 5 year old dishwasher. 2 light don't work, including the start button. Maytag authorized repair in my area?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Model # mdb7749awq1
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: no - fraid not.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: is this a common problem? and is it more cost effective to repair vs buying a new one/
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

If some buttons work and others do not, your touch control panel has failed I'm sorry to say. Now Maytag has re-designed this part which means they were likely having problems with it. Either way, the touchpad is about $110 and below is a link to the new part you'd need to order for your model.

CLICK HERE for touch control panel

If you had a technician replace the part, it would be another $150 with trip and labor so it probably wouldn't be worth fixing at that point but if you wanted to replace the part yourself you certainly could do that since it's all plug and play. To replace the part just open the door and flip the circuit breaker off to the dishwasher. Remove all the screws going around the inner door panel which screw down vertically. The control panel and front panel will pull off and then you can swap over the latch and control board to the new control panel and re-assembly.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.