Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Ge monogram refrigerator( 1997 mfg date) continually freezes

Customer Question

ge monogram refrigerator( 1997 mfg date) continually freezes up, have changed defrost timer,and drip pan heater. do i take the chance and spend additional money on the defrost element
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

If this is a built in product, you will likely need the icing kit designed for most models of this era.

May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ZISB42DYA
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

That model does indeed require that kit. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

CLICK HERE

This kit comes with complete installation instructions and will require modification of the drain line, the air flow in the freezer and some additional sealing parts. You can expect it to take about 2 hours to install and requires complete disassembly of the evaporator area at the top of the freezer. It is best to allow the freezer to completely thaw before disassembly.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
As I mentioned in my initial post, I've replaced the pan heater in this kit. When I unplugged the fridge on Sunday there was considerable frost build up on the evaporator thus blocking air flow. So you're saying it's not the defrost heater element on the evaporator.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Is the coil frosting up or the area under the coil freezing solid?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I just turned the fridge back on and within a week it will start freezing up again blocking air flow to the fresh food section.when I manually advance the timer the system goes into defrost but heater element never gets hot. I know this because I can stick my hand up through a vent from the ice maker compartment and feel the ice on the coil and no heat.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Okay, so that means the voltage is not getting to the heater or the heater is faulty. I am sorry I misunderstood the issue you were having. There is a defrost thermostat on the coil that may be open. Do you have a meter to test the heater for continuity?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No, but I'll find one. I did notice on my last tear down that there were 2 thermostats in the far back attached. Kinda hard to get to from the inside.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Yes, you won't be able to test them well because they must be frozen to test, so if the heater tests good, replace those thermostats.