John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

We bought a Whirlpool Gold series refrigerator back in

Customer Question

We bought a Whirlpool Gold series refrigerator back in January or February of 2015. We were about to build a house and found a good deal on it. We finally installed it in our house this summer, and it constantly has frost/ice in the freezer compartment. It's even hard to open unless you remember to do it at least twice a day. My husband said it was off track and fixed that, but the problem continues. Any ideas of what is causing this?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Model # is WRX988SIBM01. We bought it at Lowe's. I assume it was brand new, although they did tell us that someone had bought it and returned it because the freezer was off track and kept running. The paperwork that came with it said that a technician had simply put it back on track.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Hello? Are you still there?
JA: No. I'm the Appliance Technician's Assistant.
Customer: My husband is a mechanic. If possible, he can do the work. Does it involve ordering a part?
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not anything I can think of. I'm NOT a mechanic! Ha.
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 23 days ago.

Hello from Just Answer and the Appliance Catigory
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 36 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

If the doors rubber door gasket seem to be sealing properly on all the door then I would have to suspect that you have a defrost system issue.

and with it doing this from day one I suspect that you have a wire off one of the defrost circuit components.

You can try running a manual service diagnostics on it to manually advance the unit into a defrost diagnostics and also run a defrost mode.

To EXIT SERVICE DIAGNOSTICS Mode: You have a total of six switches starting from the left is #1 and the far right is #6 .

so from left to right is #1 ,#2 ,#3, #4 #5 #6 .

You can do one of the following 3 options:

• Press SW1 and SW2 simultaneously for 3 seconds.

• Disconnect the product from power.

• Allow 20 minutes to pass. Following the exit of the diagnostic mode, the controls will then resume normal operation.

Each step must be manually advanced.

Press SW5 to move to the next step in the sequence.

Press SW4 to back up in the sequence to the previous step.

Just run the diagnostics until you get to step #6 this will test the defrost circuit.

Let me know if it shows 02 for an open biametal /heater

And test #7 will turn the defrost mode

And after it has been on for about 10 min open the freezer door and tell me if you hear any popping or crackling.

Diagnostics will begin at Step 1. Each step is displayed in the two digits of the dispenser user interface display. The step results are displayed in the two digits on dispenser user interface display 2 seconds after the step number is ***** An amber order filter light will be shown to designate that the step number is ***** displayed and a red replace filter light will be shown to designate that the status of the step is being displayed. All button and pad inputs shall be ignored and all inputs shall be off except as described in the actions for each step.

Service Test - 1 FC thermistor • The board will check the resistance value of the thermistor and display flashes results on the Temp Display. (01 = Pass, 02 = Open, 03 = Short)

Service Test - 2 RC thermistor • The board will check the resistance value of the thermistor and display the results on the Temp Display (01 = Pass, 02 = Open, 03 = Short)

Service Test - 3 Evaporator fan motor and air baffle motor • Control the RC & FC Evaporator Fan Mtrs. by depressing SW3 (01= Both Fan Mtr. off. 02 =FC Fan on.) • Depress SW3 once to advance. Step 3 will flash quickly and advances to steps 13/23 very quickly. The result is RC Fan on, Pantry Air Damper on. Pantry Air Damper will open and close automatically. (13= Damper Open. 23= Damper Closed). Verify air flow inside pantry on left hand side when damper is open, (13 displayed). Air flow in pantry will cease when 23 is displayed). • Depress SW3 to advance to last step. (04 = Both RC & FC fans on).

Service Test - 4 Compressor/ condenser fan motor/evaporator fan • There will be a delay of 3 seconds before start of sub step 01. Each step is timed and be automatically proceed tho the next step. User will not be allowed to exit step. If exit is attempted, an invalid chime will be produced. • Control the Sealed System loads selecting SW3 (01 = Initialize Dual Evap Valve in home position (4min), 02 = Close both RC&FC Evap Valve (1min), 03 = Turn compressor ON (1min), 04 = Keep compressor ON, drive the valve to RC position & turn RC fan ON, 05 = Keep compressor ON, drive the valve to FC position & turn FC fan ON. Verify air flow from the evaporator fan. Note: Advance quickly through step 4 to keep from locking in. Once locked in you can’t exit, must wait wait ten minutes approximately.

Service Test - 5 Compressor Status / Speed • Initial Display 02 = Minimum speed • Depress SW3. Display = 03. Compressor Ramps up to Max speed. When Max speed reached, 01 displayed. • Depress SW3. Display = 04 Speed ramps down from Max to minimum speed. Display = 02

Service Test - 6 Defrost heater/Bi-metal • Note: if bi-metal is open, it will need to be by-passed for heater to operate. Heater should be on. Display will be blank until a valid reading is displayed. (01 = Bi-metal closed, 02 = Bi-metal open)

Service Test - 7 Defrost mode Selection • The defrost mode can be set by using SW3. In ADC Mode the product will automatically defrost after a minimum of 8 hours of compressor runtime up to maximum of 96 hours of compressor runtime, depending upon product usage. In Basic Mode the product will automatically defrost after 8 hours of compressor runtime. (01 = ADC ON, 02 = Basic Mode ON 8 hour timer.)

Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 20 days ago.

I have not heard back from you do you still need assistance with your question?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Well, I'm not sure. We've just moved in and it seems like something is going on everyday. I am doing dishes in a bathroom sink. :( It seems to me that the rubber seal around the freezer door has never fit properly. My husband says that it was not fitting well on the right side. So he took everything out, fixed some kind of problem with it not running right on the tracks. Then he put it back and then the left side started frosting over. Now the whole thing is just a frosty compartment. I suspect some kind of part is warped or otherwise not entirely straight and true. Of course, I know nothing other than just common sense. The terms you used in your reply I would need to show my husband, and he is the one who has practically no time at the moment. Maybe we can check it out more thoroughly over the weekend and then I can let you know. Thanks.

ok that is fine.

i have to keep the conversation active or it will time out after a preset time.

I will be on line Saturday morning till around Noon EST

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I'm sorry, my husband ended up having to work this morning. It seems like we stay in a tizzy all the time, with something always going on. I can tell you spent a lot of time on the answer you gave us and I haven't even had a chance to show it to him yet. If we time out I may have to return to this issue at a later time. It's a good web site, though. :)