Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Whirlpool super capacity top load washer. model #

Customer Question

whirlpool super capacity top load washer. model # LA5590XPW1. Question: if motor/tran coupler or clutch is bad, could washer still agitate but not spin. Agitates well when empty, seems possibly weaker when loaded. doesn't spin at all. Drains well, cycles through, makes noise in spin cycle, just no spinning. Thanks.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: design2000 is the name on the console, model #LA5590XPW1
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I don't know, is there anything else you need?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

If the unit still agitates, then the coupler has nothing to do with the problem. A bad coupler would stop the washer form agitating or spinning at all. But if the washer still agitates and just won't spin even though it drains, your clutch is slipping so the clutch would need to be replaced.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?