Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Have two amana model #YNED5800DW1 dryers both straight out

Customer Question

Have two amana model #YNED5800DW1 dryers both straight out of the box. Both won't start. Electrician installed. Has full full power on each circuit. Could I have two defective dryers?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

Do you have a meter to perform any electrical testing with?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I do and I've tested. About 120 volts per side (power to ground) and a good 240 volts between the power wires. I checked the breaker panel to make sure they are separate circuits
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

Did you measure at the center terminal on the cord connections to verify the neutral was good, measuring to each of the outside terminals?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm not sure exactly what it is your meeting about the verifying the neutral him I did get into the electrical panel inside the back of the machine unplug the cord to verify it wasn't a problem with the with the cord and tested at that point
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

The motor and timers need a line voltage and a neutral to work. So, even though you have verified voltage to ground, if the neutral line is not wired with the ground or is not present, they will not work. I am not sure how the cords are wired, so we need to verify the neutral line (the middle terminal) is good.

Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

Are any lights working on the machines?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No. No lights. Nothing at all
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

So the neutral line has to be missing if you have verified line voltage is okay. Can you test between the middle terminal to each of the outer ones (white to red and white to black)?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I've tested at the receptacle. Each power wire to neutral. Both read 121.5 volts. I did the same inside the machine. If the neutral was broken would I get those readings?
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

No, if that is the case, then the power supply is good. So that means that both machines have issues out of the box, that is very rare.

Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

They are, of course, under warranty. If you are certain the power supply is good, I would call for warranty service. I am happy to help further troubleshoot but you will void the warranty you do have. Let me know if you would like to continue.

Please know I am here if you have follow up questions!

You deserve 5 star service! I hope I have earned your 5 star rating using the stars at the top of the page! Please let me know if you have additional questions, I am here to help! Thank you so much!