Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Microwave wont shut off unless you opendoor, 3 years old,

Customer Question

microwave wont shut off unless you opendoor
JA: What's the microwave's make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: 3 years old, Samsung model SMH1816S
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: YES
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: is heating when you put in time and press start. that being said it draws power when heating cycle is over and continues to do so whenever door is shut although not heating
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

The fact that the microwave is running when the door is closed and it's not heating mean that one of your 3 door switches has failed. There are 3 door switches for safety reasons and if one of them is acting up you get this symptom so you need to determine which switch is faulty and then replace the faulty switch. Below is a video on how to test door switches if you have a multimeter to test the switches. Just replace the faulty switch and you should be good to go again.

CLICK HERE for video

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?