Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I can't get my washer door open. It's locked with wet

Customer Question

I can't get my washer door open. It's locked with wet clothes inside
JA: What's the make and model of your washing machine? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Whirlpool duet and about 7 years
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I can do simple things but may need to hire so the clothes don't mold
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I tried unplugging and rep lugging and trying to power on. Also tried shutting off circuit breaker and back on.
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 24 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 24 days ago.

It sounds like your door latch may have failed. The unit is only 11 months old so I would manually unlock the door and see if the issue resets. To manually unlock the door you need to pull the washer straight forward and out. Then unplug the washer and remove the screws coming in from the back of the top panel. The top panel will then pull straight back, up, and off. With the top panel removed you can reach down behind the front panel and there is a plastic tab hanging from the bottom of the door latch. Pull down on this plastic tab to manually unlock the latch. Now just plug the washer back in and try the washer again. If it still acts up and the tub isn't full of water that didn't drain out, then replace the door latch. If the tub is filled with water, then you have a drain problem which is why the door won't unlock.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.