Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

About Spacemaker microwave oven - the door handle has come

Customer Question

About Spacemaker microwave oven - the door handle has come off at the top. Can the back of the door be taken off so the screw can be screwed in?
JA: What's the microwave's make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: has 3 model numbers listed this is the first --model: JVM1540 bought April 2012 This is a GE Spacemaker Microwave Oven
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If it as simple as taking the back of the door off - my son can help me do that. This looks like a very simple thing if we could just get to the screw.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I don't know what else to tell you. The bottom screw is still in place and I can open the door but this may not last long if I can't fix the top screw.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

So yes, the door does come apart but it's a bit tricky. The other problem is that the handle will usually need to be replaced because typically if the screw comes out of one of the handle ends, the plastic receptacle that the screw goes into on the handle has broken or stripped out. Either way, below is a video on how to take your microwave door apart. The video shows a Whirlpool microwave where I am taking the door apart, but the process is the exact same for your model. It will be more difficult than the video shows because this door has been taken apart a dozen times so it unclips easily.

CLICK HERE for video

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?