Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My GE Profile refrigerator has a code of 88 and flashing

Customer Question

My GE Profile refrigerator has a code of 88 and flashing 08/88 on the screen. This is a 26 inch model with a non-LCD panel. This problem occurred after a power outage and after two days has not returned to normal. Water will not dispense and ice is no longer being made. A GE repairman just replaced the Duct Door Assembly two weeks ago.The model number is ***** serial number RS900626. Is there a way to reset this? Pressing the Adjust Freezer and Energy Saver buttons does not work.Should I call for service?
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 27 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 27 days ago.

This 08/88 is an error code and it means that your water tank heater has failed. Try to reset the error by pressing and holding the Energy Saver and Alarm buttons together for 5 seconds. If the error won't reset then the water tank heater back by the water reservoir behind the crisper drawers inside your refrigerator would need to be replaced to resolve the issue.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 27 days ago.

The water tank heater is part number WR51X10117 and it costs about $60.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 25 days ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?