Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Is there a reset button on the Magic Chef CTB1922 model.

Customer Question

Is there a reset button on the Magic Chef CTB1922 model. Believe the door was left ajar and freezer compartment and bottom refrigerator not cooling . Fan is running fine and I cleaned coils - is the reset in the back bottom area, if there is one?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Magic Chef is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model? I think they do a wonderful job. All Experts must pass our rigorous 8 Step Expert Quality Process. This ensures that you get the most knowledgeable, trustworthy help anywhere on the Internet. You can learn more about it here:
Customer: It was purchased in 2004 - and the exact model is CTB1922GR
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The refrigerator has only been moved once - 8 years ago and has not been heavily used or mistreated in any way . . . I believe the bottom door was ajar for a while - like maybe a day.
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 27 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 27 days ago.

So first, if the fans are running, then there is nothing that can be reset. But that being said, pull the refrigerator forward and remove the lower back access panel and is the compressor warm, blazing hot, or room temperature? Also is the fan next to the compressor running?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I'll have to go to the kitchen to do these things. I think a phone call would be easier . . . .
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 27 days ago.

That's completely up to you and we can speak by phone but there is a $24 additional charge. I can't control pricing but if you wanted to speak by phone we could definitely do that

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Is this another $24 on top of the good faith and $23?
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I do not have a 'smart phone' - so, I can't tap the browser . . . .
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 27 days ago.

That is correct, it is an additional $24 to speak by phone or you can just keep typing at no additional charge.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
The fan is running - and the compressor is getting hotter.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 27 days ago.

OK listen closely to the compressor for 5 minutes. Do you hear the compressor click on and off every couple minutes or does it sound like it's just running normally?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I guess we could just stop here and I will contact a local facility to help - or get another frige. Thank you for your help - I am on a fixed income. Will this assistance just be the previous charges only if we stop now?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 27 days ago.

yes of course. I'm sorry about the bad news. What I would try before calling is unplug the refrigerator for a couple hours to let the compressor cool down. Then plug it back in and see if it'll cool normally again. If not then it means your compressor has overheated and you could have a bad overload relay or a bad compressor from working too hard when the door was left open.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I have not heard the compressor click on or off earlier today - I sort of thought that could be the case. Thank you so much for your help.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 27 days ago.

alright good luck to you and sorry about the bad news.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 24 days ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?