Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a whirlpool front loading duet washing machine. It

Customer Question

I have a whirlpool front loading duet washing machine. It was giving me a flashing F21 reading in the led spot usually showing time still on the cycle. Not draining completely, not doing anything now as I try to get a load to finish draining and spin. What do I need to do?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Don't know the age, I'll see if I can get the door unlocked and check. It has been locking up and not responding to my efforts to unlock. Just a minute.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: model WFW9400SZ01
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Washed a rug recently, it dropped a lot of the rubber type backing.
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 26 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 26 days ago.

F21 means that your washer is not draining. There is a drain catch inside the washer that you will want to access and clean if you're getting this drain error. To access the drain catch, tip the machine backwards and lean it against the wall at a 45 degree angle or so. Remove the 3 screws along the bottom of the lower front panel. The lower front panel will then pull down and off. There is a 3" diameter plastic twist cap directly under the tub mounted to the floor. This is your drain cap. Unscrew the cap and clear any debris inside the drain catch. If you find nothing and the drain hose is clear, replace your drain pump. It sounds like you're going to find a ton of rubber type backing in the pump and hose going to the pump would be my guess if you just washed a rug.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.