John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have a GE Monogram Refrigerator 48" side by side purchased

Customer Question

Hello, I have a GE Monogram Refrigerator 48" side by side purchased new in 2000. This model does not have digital boards.
About 3 weeks ago the freezer section built-up icicles coming from the evaporator above.
With that the refrigerator section started to get warmer and would not drop below 60 degrees even with the thermostat set to no. 8 of 9. After a few days we emptied both sections and un-plugged the unit for a day and a half with the doors open. The compressor fan and the fan in the freezer section is working. The coil has been properly cleaned.
Now, for the last 2 weeks or more, since shutting down the unit and re-starting, the freezer is operating at around -4 degrees at normal setting of no. 5 with no icicles. The icemaker and water dispenser are both working fine. The refrig. at best will go down to 45 degrees but no lower. most of the time it is at 50 plus degrees. I did replace the defrost timer but this made no difference. I called in a service Tech. from an on line service Co. He made 2 service calls and ultimately said he could not determine the problem. He did check the door seals and said they were fine. I had to pay him $95.00 for the first service call. I am at the office and don't have the model no. sorry.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 2 months ago.

Hello from Just Answer and the Appliance Catigory
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 36 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

Noting I can do with out a model number to be able to go to the GE web site and look anything up.

You can contact me tomorrow with the model number and I can begin to assist you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did not understand your response.

ok in order for me to be able to look ANYTHING up on the GE data base I will need a model number!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Then please do not charge my account the $32.00 until you have provided a reasonable solution.

I did not charge you ,or even get to see your personal info ,I only get paid once you rate my answer.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** get the model # this evening and get back with you tomorrow. Denis

ok great!

It would be great to have you in front of the appliance when talking to you also .

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will do that. What hours are you available

8-5 EST Mon-FRi