Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a jennair model JMV8186AA microwave that has a error

Customer Question

I have a jennair model JMV8186AA microwave that has a error code E63
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Jenn-Air is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: model JMV8186AA serial # 10004745JE about 10 years old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: if it's possible... is the unit worth repairing due to it's age?
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: if it's repairable where can I get parts
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

On this microwave, E63 means that the unit has failed it's 63 second microwave heating circuit test. What that means is that your magnetron is not likely running to produce heat. The first thing you want to do is just unplug the microwave for 5 minutes to see if the electronics will reset. If that doesn't fix the issue then you have a failed part. The magnetron you need is part number W10126785 but it's no long made. You can search for a new one but it'll be difficult to find. If you do find the part, the entire microwave would need to be uninstalled and the outer shell removed to replace the part. The part retailed for about $125 when it was made so it's not a cheap part I'm sorry to say. If you need a technician to replace the part for you, you'd be looking at another $150 for trip and labor so at that point it may not be worth fixing.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?