Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Have a kenmore elite 5.2 front load washer that only spins

Customer Question

Have a kenmore elite 5.2 front load washer that only spins sometimes and makes a clunking noise when it stops or changes direction changed speed sensor same issue
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Kenmore is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 2 yrs made by lg for kenmore 796.41072310
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Would like to
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not that i can think of
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

If you open the door and lift up and down on the inner tub, does it move or is it solid?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Its solid and spins freely
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

Can you replicate the noise by manually turning or moving the tub?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
When it goes to spin it make clunking noise also worse when washing towels/heavy items spin will say 11 on display then go to end
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.
  1. Can you replicate the noise by manually turning or moving the tub?
  2. Can you tell from what area the noise comes?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The noise is from the motor where it attaches to splines on hub sounds like the the motor is trying to start then abruptly stops
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If i move the motor by hand i can feel slight play
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

In the diagram at the link below, number K360 is the rotor. Number K123 holds it in place. If you remove that rotor for inspection, does it look like the center with the plastic splines is worn?

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It has a very very small amout of play that is the noise but the real issue is that sometimes it will spin and sometimes it doesn't
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The plastic and rotor are fine had that apart when i changed the position sensor
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

The rotor has to be tight because the sensor will see if it has issues. Inside that rotor are many magnets that act and react with the coils on the stator. I believe the rotor issue (and the noise) is the cause of the spin issue.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The noise sounds like the motor is recieving the power eractac
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

Did you happen to get a look at those magnets on the inside of the rotor? Were they clean or have any marks on them?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The whole thing is clean no rub marks anywhere if i replace it and it doesn't work do i have to pay again to continue trying to repair the washer
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

No, of course not. I am going through some service bulletins on your model. Do you have just a few minutes?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
please just need it repaired
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

On this model, there has been an issue with the yellow wire that leads to the motor. The wire breaks inside and makes intermittent contact. That sounds like it may be what you have going on. Can you check that wire, bending it in several places to see if the wire feels broken inside?

Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

The issue usually pops up in the part of the wiring harness that is taped up, according to the service bulletin.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
In what section of the wire harness the one from the stator to the conector
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

I will get you a picture, just one second, please. Thank you for your patience.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

See the attached page.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok i no where that is will check and get back to u have to take it apart again give me some time
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

Of course, take your time, thank you!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yellow wire is not broken
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

Thank you. I suspect the issue lies with the rotor. I would replace it and see what happens. I can send you a link to a company that allow returns on installed parts, so you can return it for a refund if the problem remains. Would you like that link?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
please just the rotor not the stator
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

CLICK HERE

Please know I am here if you have follow up questions!

You deserve 5 star service! I hope I have earned your 5 star rating using the stars at the top of the page! Please let me know if you have additional questions, I am here to help! Thank you so much!