Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  32 yrs. experience servicing major appliances and HVAC equipment.

In have a GE Monogram 36" inverter compressor side by side

Customer Question

In have a GE Monogram 36" inverter compressor side by side refrigerator. This is a top compressor unit. Have a problem with compressor operation. I have lots of information as I completed some repairs with limited success. Are you familiar with these units?
JA: No. I'm the Appliance Technician's Assistant.
Customer: Is there someone available that does know these refrigerators?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Its the 8 year old version of the newer Ziss360DHSS. Sorry I'm not at home at the moment.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Already have done quite a bit. FYI, I'm very familiar with refrigeration systems. I own a business that services and repairs automotive air conditioning systems. Struggling with what appears to be an odd problem. I can go into more detail if you would like me too.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Yes. Compressor was always running on high. Freezer temp would not drop below 30 degrees and refrigerator was stuck on 40 degrees. These was little to no heat at compressor discharge line. Tested tested for frequency signal from mother board to inverter module. The signal is present. Compressor winding's tested good. I tried a new inverter module as a guess but that did not work. Evacuated refrigerant, pulled and vacuum and recharged system. Initially refrigerator worked better for a couple of hours but then the compressor would not start. Could hear it attempting to start but never did. So removed refrigerant again to install new compressor. After evacuating through the service port I cut through the compressor discharge line and it was full of refrigerant. Once it bleed out I installed new compressor. Pulled vacuum of nearly 30" and recharged system. Worked like a new refrigerator. Freezer at 3 degrees and refrigerator at 33 degrees. Compressor and condenser fan ran slower and quieter. Everything was great for 9 days. Without warning we are back to the original problem. I think I need help.
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tom Goellner replied 25 days ago.

Put your gauges back on- sounds like it is losing refrigerant. If the low side pressure is in a vacuum - that's what is happening. then you need to locate the leak which means you need a leak detector. Best way is to add nitrogen with the refrigerant to get the pressure up to about 150 lbs to find the leak easier.